The teeth suggest an adult in middle life, and show much evidence of hard wear.
The somewhat flattened character of the back of the skull is an indication that the skull may be that of an individual of the "Beaker" type and a measurement of 150mm or over for the breadth is in harmony with tis view, for it implies at least a sub-brachycephalic condition.
We give them in the order of induction as follows: A snippet of information on maps of Glamorgan - the following is from the Glamorgan section of Ogilby's strip-map "The Road from London to St David's" first published in 1675. In South Wales during the 19th century the rapid development of heavy industries & coal mining created centres of dense populations where voluntary efforts to provide education in many areas proved inadequate & ineffective.
Place names & notable buildings can be seen on this section from Aberavon to Cowbridge (A48). The characteristic feature of the industrial evolution of South Wales during the first half of the 19th century was the growth & expansion of the ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgical industries.
Small-scale maps of Glamorgan & South Wales were the strip-maps of main roads 1st evolved as a cartographic medium by John Ogilby in 1675 - these held sway well into the 18th century. Their prosperity depended essentially upon the availabilty & supply of cheap coal and most of the larger iron & copper works had their own collieries.
Ogilby used the scale of 1 inch to the mile which had immense consequences. But collieries in this category had no schools, since the colliers' children attended the iron or copperworks schools eg.
It was not possible to place in contact with this portion a fragment of the frontal bone which was present.
A fragment of the superciliary ridge indicates that the specimen belongs to a male and that these bony ridges were strongly developed.
Flints of this or similar type are common in Bronze Age burials (Eg., at Pendine, Carm. Camb., 1919, pp 323-352) & it seems probable that the man buried on Stomry Down was a member of the "colony" of the broad-headed people which occupied the coastal regions of South Wales - coming, perhaps from the Somerset side of the Bristol Channel (A suggestion offered by Dr Cyril Fox, F. Estimating the breadth of the skull from the parieto-occipital region, which it has been possible to build up from fragments, we get a measurement of 149mm suggesting that the maximum breadth of the skull is a little greater than this.Little is known of the venerable gentleman beyond the circumstance that he is of a good old Welsh family, who it is asserted can trace their descent in a direct line from Gwynfardd Dyfed, Lord of Pembrokeshire & descendant of Mewrig, an early King of Dyfed. Archdeacon received his early tuition at Bromsgrove Grammar School, Worcestershire & appropriately enough entered on his collegiate career at Worcester College, Oxford. Of the beneficed clergy who held prefermant in the diocese previous to the consecration of the late Bishop, 26 appear to be still in the enjoyment of their benefices or have as in one case been raised to a higher ecclesiastical dignity within the disocese. in 1843 was ordained deacon in 1841 & admitted to priests orders, taking his M. The 97th bishop who has sat in the "Seat of Dubricius" (two only of the long line of his predecessors within the strictly historic period have enjoyed an episcopate longer than his own) - these were Hereward (a Saxon) whose rule extended over 44 years and who died at the age of 100 in 1103 & Bledri or Blethry whose rule of 39 years ended with his death in 1022.It also provided a bearing to navigate the Nash Swatch channel. A few small colliery schools were beginning to appear during this period, before monetary grants began to flow from the government.The necessity of an early record in determining the origin of a person is obvious - only collected forms to the end of the period c.1400 have been included here. Between 1840 & 1860 others were established as grants were forthcoming from the Committee of Privy Council, the Voluntary Societies became more active & when several government Commissions produced Reports on the State of Education in the Mining Districts. A woman should be employed to teach the younger children their letters, etc., and she might teach sewing to the girls in the afternoon.The bulk of the references collected are 12th & 13th century - as they have all been taken from the C. The final phase (from 1860 onwards) was associated with the rapid devleopment of the central Glamorgan coalfield, especially the steam-coal deposits of the Rhondda Valleys (for export purposes). Talbot MP of the Margam Estate (Owner of Bryndu Slip Colliery) started a temporary school in colliery stables, known as Bryndu Works School. Instruction as good as could be carried into effect during the short time the school has been erected; discipline good; methods good.G., this has been omitted in the record but the page has been given for reference. By 1900, this region had become one of the most densely populated parts of Britain. In the 1860's Brydu School was built at the end of School Road in Kenfig Hill. From the following information which appeared in the National of Library of Wales Journal in 1957, it would appear that Bryndu School in Kenfig Hill was already open a few years before this date as a report on the school was compiled by Mr H. Thanks are due to Major Lewis Rugg for acquainting the Museum with the discovery, to Mr Clements, his foreman at the quarry and to Mr G. Stacey, of Porthcawl for much readily granted help.His strips also indicated the junctions of cross-routes but the only topographical features are villages & important houses. Llanelly & Hafod (Swansea) Copperworks schools, the Rhymney, Dowlais & Neath Abbey Ironworks schools etc.Three editions of the work, one entitled "Itinerarium Angliae" as a variant from the standard & first edition, "Britannia" appeared in 1675. Sometimes a school in a mining community was maintained partly by fixed annual donations from colliery owners or companies.The main workings of the quarry had been flooded by the heavy rains and in the course of working a new face at a high level further to the east, a large slab of stone was met with, from beneath which a skull was dislodged & broken up before the character of the find was realised.The surface at this spot was practically level and a slight hollow had been made, in which the grave had been built.