In 1901, he was appointed Lieut.-Colonel commanding the 8th Battalion of the City of London Rifle Brigade, and seven years later was made an Hon. From his marriage on April 30th, 1906, with Alice Matilda Mary, daughter and heir of the late Captain William Robert Gamul Farmer, D. P., of Nonsuch Park and Denham Hall, Suffolk, formerly of the Grenadier Guards, dates his connection with Surrey. Son of the late Joseph Coltart, merchant, of Liverpool, and The Grange, Ruthin, North Wales; born at Liverpool, May 30th, 1849; educated at Ruthin Grammar School, and St.
The present mansion is a modern building, within the parish of Cuddington, bearing the ancient name, and standing some little distance from the site of Henry VIII.'s old Palace of Nonsuch, which, according to Camden was built "with so much splendour and elegance that it stood a monument of art", and was demolished by Barbara, Duchess of Cleveland in the time of Charles II., to meet her pecuniary difficulties.
The well-tended grounds are exceedingly rich in timber and include fine specimens of the oak, beech, chestnut, ash, fir, and cedar.
There is a large rhododendron shrubbery and there are many pleasant woodland walks. L., of Helperby Hall, Yorks, and Elizabeth, only daughter of William Sayer, Yarm, York; born at Clapham, February 28th, 1853; educated at Marlborough College.
They were really pandering to the vanity of the subjects who probably supplied the details and had to to pay for the 'privilege' of their name appearing in print. In the hall still hangs a portrait of Charles II, by Lely,where it was placed about 1680, and there exists also in the hall the fireplace where, it is recorded, Charles II cooked food. It consists of a spacious house supposed to have been rebuilt by Richard Evelyn in the 17th century, and of 338 acres of arable and woodland.
Member of the London Stock Exchange since 1873; senior partner in the firm of Hensley and Aston; member for the last twenty years of the Stock Exchange Benevolent Committee; is a Warden of the Skinners' Company; has taken an active past in all local and county affairs, and has been Chairman of the Epsom Urban District Council for two years, during which time he secured a perpetual supply of water for the town; for twenty years Churchwarden of Christ Church, Epsom; contested unsuccessfully the Epsom Division of Surrey at the General Election of 1906, polling 6221 votes; is Vice-President of the Railway Benevolent Institution; of the Orphan Working School, and many other institutions. Woodcote Grove, Epsom According to John Toland, in his "Letter to Eudoxa," publoshed in 1726, this mansion is the original Mount Diston, so called from Josiah Diston, an early Governer of the Bank of England, who built it in the reign of Charles II., circa 1680. There is a magnificent Painted Gallery containing twelve large and fourteen small wooden panels which were painted in oils from designs executed by Philip, Duke of Orleans, when he was regent of France during the minority of Louis XV.
Recreations: yachting, shooting, hunting and coaching; Rear-Commodore, Royal Southern Yacht Club; for five years drove the Hertford coach. Married, in 1878, Edith, eldest daughter of Captain Phillip Woolley, of Gravenhurst, Sussex, and has issue one son, Captain Edward Clive, 15th Hussars, A. C., to the Earl of Aberdeen, Viceroy of Ireland, married, 1906, Lady Celia Crewe-Milnes, second daughter of the Earl of Crewe, Lord President of the Council; and one daughter, Dorothy Anne. Senior partner of Coltart, Daniel and Thornely, Epsom; Medical Officer to Epsom College, and Epsom Workhouse and district; Senior Surgeon to Epsom and Ewell Cottage Hospital; Factory Surgeon; in 1872 was Surgeon to the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, ss. Romer of Ceylon, and has issue five sons and two daughters; Harry N., M.
Clubs: Royal Yacht Squadron, Carlton, Junior United Service, Wellington, and Yorkshire. "Garonne", to South America; commenced practice in Epsom in 1873, joining the firm of Messrs.
Married, in 1872, Rosamond Augusta, daughter of the late A. He is also a member of the 'Veterans', or National Reserve Committee at Epsom, and Chairman of the Scouts' Association. Aberdeen; has been Chairman of Ewell Parish Council, and has served on Epsom Rural District Council; was for ten years Churchwarden of Ewell, and has been Hon. L., county of Surrey; High Sheriff, 1897; formerly Captain Grenadier Guards.
Justice of the Peace for Surrey; Guardian of the Poor for Epsom Union; School Manager, etc.; formerly a partner in the firm of Brown, Janson and Company, bankers, London (now merged into Lloyds' Bank). A considerable landowner in Westmoreland, and the head of one of that County's old families, Basil Braithwaite, Esq., D. P., is the only surviving some of the late Isaac Braithwaite, Esq., of Hookfield, Epsom, who died in 1890, and his wife Louisa, daughter of the late John Masterman, Esq., M. Keenly interested in political matters, he has rendered service to the Conservative Cause in the Epsom and Ewell districts by lucid exposition of the aims of Tariff Reform, Imperialism and other subjects of national importance. Braithwaite is an active supporter of the Territorial Movement, a member of the Surrey Territorial Association and Chairman of the Local Recruiting Committee. L, etc., born at Horsham, Sussex, March 26th, 1852; educated at Winchester (1865-71), and Oriel College, Oxford (1871-75); M. Lord of the Manor, and Patron of the Living, of Beddington; a well known breeder of Aberdeen-Angus cattle, his herd at Langshott, Horley, was founded in 1876, and is the oldest of Aberdeen-Angus cattle in England; President, 1905-07, of Polled Cattle (Aberdeen-Angus) Society; has held a Commission in Middlesex Yeomanry Cavalry, and is a member of the Royal Company of Archers, King's Bodyguard for Scotland; Justice of the Peace for Surrey and co.