A fine oak chimneypiece of the same period also remains in a room on the first floor. It was purchased about 1771 by General, afterwards Field-Marshal, Sir George Howard, (fn.
A panel above it was painted in the 17th century with various texts, as 'Feare the Lord,' and 'Love thi neighbour,' and with other devices.
153) on his marriage as Sir John Villiers in 1617 with Sir Edward Coke's daughter Frances. The niche in the north wall contains part of a 15th-century altar tomb enriched with quatrefoil panels containing three brass shields of arms, two of which are of Moleyns. yearly, arising from sale of allotment land and of gravel.
152) it passed to John Viscount Purbeck by settlement (fn. 155) when Stoke Poges Manor passed to John Gayer, who in the previous year had purchased the reversionary rights from Robert Villiers Danvers, (fn. There is also in the chancel a late 13th-century slab with a cross in low relief and a French inscription to William de Wytemerse. The trust property consists of 14 acres in Wexham, purchased with £100 originally bequeathed, let at £15 12.
Brown, Richmond and Repton in turn tried their skill in the last half of the 18th century in the general arrangement of the grounds and ornamental water, (fn. The new mansion, begun by Nasmyth in 1789, and completed in 1801, from the designs of James Wyatt, who altered and enlarged it, (fn. 14) stands nearly in the centre of the well-wooded park, a quarter of a mile south-west of the old manor-house, and is held under a long lease by the Stoke Poges Golf Club, who have converted the old deer park into links. 132) In 1532 he made a settlement of the manor on the marriage of his son and heir Francis, (fn. 136) He was plaintiff in a lawsuit in 1566 as to the detention of a book containing the Court Rolls of the manor. 137) By an Act of Parliament 1584–5 the manor was settled on his wife Katherine for life, (fn. He claimed to hold the reversion of the manor as heir of his brother Henry, the late earl, who had died in 1595 and denied the mortgage or sale of the manor to Branthwaite. 146) and two years later Lord Danvers and Lord Houghton obtained a grant of Stoke Poges Manor in connexion with a Crown claim for the debts of the late Earl of Huntingdon. 147) On his release soon after Sir Edward obtained a reversal of this grant by judgement of the barons. The base of an early 16th-century altar cross is preserved in a case on the south wall of the chancel; its bronze sexfoiled foot, which shows traces of gilt, is enriched with foliage and flowers and bears the following inscription: ' Ihs Nazarenus rex iudeorum Fili dei miserere mei.' Two funeral helms are hung on the south wall of the chancel; both are made-up pieces, one being apparently a late 15th-century tournament bascinet, to which the beaver of a later close helmet has been added, while the other incorporates part of a late 16th-century burgonet. 349) In 1549 a grant of the chantry-house was given to William Sawle and William Bridges, (fn. yearly, representing a legacy of £50 by will of the Rev. The hospital is now regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, confirmed by an Act of 1856. The following charities for education are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, 15 December 1885, as varied by a scheme of the Board of Education, 4 October 1910, namely:— Foundation of Mary Church, by will, 1791, trust fund, £130 0. 142) They and the trustees were defendants in an action brought in 1598 by George Earl of Huntingdon to prevent the sale of Stoke Poges. At the west end of the nave is preserved a seat of about 1500 with a traceried back and poppy-head standards, and in the south chapel is a 17th-century communion table. C., directed land of the value of 40., the master's house, garden and meadow containing 5 a. 32 p., the hospital meadow containing 19 acres, other meadow land containing 11 acres or thereabouts, and two cottages and gardens, producing a rental of about £100 a year; also a sum of £55 0. The poor's fuel allotment, awarded in 1810, is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 30 January 1877. a year, which is applied in support of the coal club.There are 651 acres of arable land, 1,432 of permanent grass and 381 of woods and plantations. 1) The general slope of the land in the main part of the parish is from 255 ft. in the south; the detached part lies considerably lower, the slope only varying between 62 ft. There are also a few scattered houses at Wexham Street, Stoke Green and West End. Giles with its spire stands on rising ground to the west of the village. The principal feature in Ditton (Dittone, xi cent.) is the estate of Ditton Park, for many years the residence of Charlotte Anne, widow of the fifth Duke of Buccleugh, who died in 1895. The present squarebuilt mansion, to which access is obtained by a drawbridge over the moat, (fn. The house and chapel were rebuilt by Elizabeth Duchess of Buccleugh after a fire in 1812, but they contain a good many fittings from the former house, including the late 15th-century font, a considerable quantity of 16th and 17th-century stained glass, and a glazed tile with a shield of arms, a fesse between six crosslets. The earlier house here was crenellated or fortified by John de Moleyns in 1331. 43) In it or a later house, then a royal residence, the infant Princess Mary passed the autumn of 1517. The connexion of Thomas Gray with Stoke Poges commenced in 1742, shortly before his mother and her sister Mary Antrobus came to live with their lately widowed sister, Mrs. 'Eton College, Windsor, and the adjacent country,' (fn. Of late years, owing to its association with Gray, the churchyard has been occasionally described as the scene of Gray's . 3) A brick table tomb with plain stone slabs marks the spot where Gray lies buried by the side of his mother and aunt. Murray and dates from the latter part of the 16th century. 40) For many years during the middle of the 19th century it was occupied as a Roman Catholic boarding school for boys. 48) is descriptive of the views of 'distant spires' and 'antique towers' from the ridge between West End Cottage and Farnham Common. 55) The parish of Stoke Poges was inclosed in 1810. 56) The following place-names have been found: Cokeshawe, Egleshull, le Estwell, Grene Innyng, Michelcrouches Croft, Pekesgrove, Pondeshawe, Little Ruding, Taillourcroft, Wynsmerehull (fn. An inscription let into the wall of the church under the window opposite the grave alone denotes this fact. 8) In 1601 Queen Elizabeth was sumptuously entertained at Stoke by Chief Justice Sir Edward Coke, (fn. Wilberforce Bryant, was one of the estates suggested for purchase by the nation for the Duke of Marlborough in 1705. 11) In 1789 the house had not been inhabited for some years and needed extensive repairs. 12) Since it was not considered to be a particularly fine specimen of Elizabethan architecture, it was taken down, with the exception of the west wing. 13) This house situated in the Park is now the property of Dr. The building is three stories in height, and preserves its original mullioned windows and gables on the west side, but the eastern elevation dates from the period when the rest of the house was demolished. The house has been very largely refaced and enlarged; among other original features remaining is a fine open newel staircase. The , commenced in 1742, was certainly finished at Stoke and inclosed in a letter from Gray to Walpole dated 12 June 1750. 49) Walpole showed it to his friend Lady Cobham, who lived at Stoke Manor House. Outside the churchyard to the east of the church is the cenotaph to the poet's memory finished by Wyatt in 1799 for John Penn. 4) The old manor-house of Stoke Park, which stood to the north of the church, was the 'fair house' completed in 1555 (fn. 6) on the site of the house which had been crenellated by John de Moleyns under royal licence granted in 1331 (fn. 9) and in August 1647 Charles I spent a night or two there as a prisoner on his removal from Moor Park, Rickmansworth. The hall, which is two stories in height, is at the south end. 35) Holly Bush Hill, a hamlet to the north of Sefton Park, contains a chapel of ease to the parish church. The tithe-barn and stable are contemporary with the house. She persuaded her niece Miss Speed and a guest, Lady Schaub, who knew a friend of the poet's, to pay him a visit at his mother's house. 53) and after her death in 1758 Gray shut up the house, and from that time only visited Stoke Poges when asked to stay at Stoke House. In 1086 (Stoke [Poges] Manor), assessed at 10 hides, was held of the king in chief by William son of Ansculf, (fn. 67) and continued to be held of the same honour as appurtenant to the manor of Newport Pagnell. 68) In 1429 it was held of that manor in socage, (fn. Early in the 12th century Hugh de Stoke and his wife are mentioned, (fn. 78) In 1254 Humbert le Pugeis or Pugeys had the custody of Stoke, (fn. 81) married Amice de Stoke and held Stoke, henceforth distinguished as Stoke Poges, before 1269. 82) After his death about 1330 his heirs were Gille wife of John de Moleyns, Joan wife of Bartholomew Galyen, and Alice wife of William de Langley. 83) Gille was the daughter of Margaret, one of the daughters of Sir Robert Pugeys, and Joan and Alice were the daughters of Eleanor, his other daughter. 84) In 1331 the other heirs of Sir Robert Pugeys quitclaimed their interests in the manor of Stoke Poges to John de Moleyns and Gille, (fn. 65) He was lord of the fief, extending into twelve counties, which had Dudley Castle for its head. 66) In the 13th century Stoke Poges Manor was held as a fee of the honour of Dudley, (fn. 73) The Domesday tenant of Stoke Poges Manor, which before the Conquest had been held by Siret, a man of Earl Harold, was Walter. 74) His family continued to hold it, taking their name from the manor. 86) John de Moleyns was treasurer of the king's chamber, (fn.